Thursday, June 30, 2005

Food and I

Food and I have quite the relationship.

I have to eat a lot of it to keep me going. Eating costs money, so eating a lot can cost a lot of money.

For instance: a bowl of fresh fruit at Gerbes this morning cost me $9. Yes mom, I could have bought a whole watermelon, pineapple, a thing of strawberries, a cantelope, honeydew, and made my own hugemongous fruit bowl...but that would have taken a heck of a lot more time and I would have to have a place to fit all those things. One refrigerator (for 3 people) is not enough for that. (I realize you could do it...but I refuse to abuse my refrigerator as you do yours :)

My little box here at work (meant for the boss to deliver papers, etc)almost always has food in it. When it doesn't it at least has napkins, forks, or spoons waiting in anticipation of food.

My relationship with food is also going to hurt me on the bike for a while. Why? Because I always run my system out of it. I burn calories pretty damn fast, and can only eat so much before a ride. So I've got to figure out a way to balance what I need to consume with what I can afford, have time to throw together, and so on.

We'll see what happens

Today for lunch (that I just ate):
Roast from crockpot
Rice (some type of packaged deal I've had in my cupboard forever)
Corn
Mixed fruit
(and didn't eat some mashed potatoes I brought..not enough room on my plate, so they'll be here for me tomorrow)


Went on a short ride this morning. While I was riding I was thinking about what I might post, and it occurred to me that while 20-something miles is considered short to me now, a little more than a year ago it probably wasn't.
The other day on the ride out to Tuesday Night Worlds Andy kind of told me where the road race was this Saturday. It's actually fairly close to my place (as opposed to Froze Toes starting at 2 Mile Prairie across town) but I'm not sure of a couple of the roads. I do know KK though, and he mentioned the short steep climb and the longer climb at the end..so I rode that way to get myself psyched up a little. I suppose tomorrow after work I'll head out that way, hopefully with the full course in my head, to give it a go before the race starts at 9am on Saturday.

That's it. And today I got two free Honey Buns (images of our house being built always come to mind when honey buns are mentioned, seen, and/or eaten)and a Duncin Stick that a group left at our front desk for us.

1 comment:

Leisha Jo said...

you should see the fridge now. it's clean, and it's half empty (thanks to my own efforts this week... what fun that was). hurry quick, it might not look like this for long (if it were up to me, it would, though). eek.

i like food, too.
and that fruit? mmmm... mouth is definitely watering...