Friday, February 04, 2005

Back I Go

This afternoon will be my second trip to Tan-Tar-A in two weeks. Time for the annual MSTA/S-MSTA Midwinter Conference. This is my third time going, the first not being a state officer. This one will be much more relaxing, as I always got nervous thinking about speaking in front of an audience. I really ran for office a couple years ago to work on my speaking skills (or lack of) and while I did get a few upset stomachs and jittery feelings it has helped me immensly in my quest to communicate with groups of people. NOW I CAN ALMOST SPEAK!
Can't wait to make fun of Laura (the new State Prez), the last time she had to speak a little bit at the State conference she was extremely nervous...just something about speaking in front of people...because in a one-on-one situation that girl can talk....believe me. (especially when you ask questions about her fiance!)

The trip last week was great. The All-State choir, jazz band, and band all sounded awesome...definately made me miss the high school days spend in the music room. And I got to speak with an amazing person...Brian Reeves. He left Odessa the year I was an incoming freshman at the high school, but I was lucky enough to have him in the 7th and 8th grade (as he traveled between the two schools). He's the one I tried out for concert choir for.
He's working in one of the huge St. Louis schools now and has a wife and a 2 year old daughter. He was heading out the door and I yelled at him, "Brian Reeves". Turns around and looks almost startled. I can tell that he's trying to figure out who I am..so after a little chatter I say, "you don't know who I am do you?" "I'm trying to remember your name," is his reply. Andrew Reynolds I say. "WOW"..how are you..how's your mom, how's your brother doing..and so on. Wow you've grown... I really should post some pictures sometime of me now and me back when he saw me in junior high....even I can hardly believe its me in those old pictures.
Anyway....it was awesome talking to him...the kids he's got now have no idea how lucky they are to have him as their teacher.
This brings up another reason I am going to teach...the influence you can have on a life.
I had this guy as a teacher between 1994 and 1996 and to this day the man has an influence on my life. To this day I would love to have him as a teacher. I look up to him (though not literally)
That's the kind of influence I can, and will, dream of having on a student of mine.

(THANKS SO MUCH TO MOM FOR ALMOST MAKING ME GO TALK TO HIM AFTER SHE SPOTTED HIM MINGLING INSIDE THE ROOM)

1 comment:

Leisha Jo said...

that's awesome that you saw mr. reeves-- during high school i saw him at a few events (he even directed one of the choirs i was in); i have always wished i could've had him as a teacher. the influence that teachers can have on students is amazing-- if you're teaching for that reason, then you're teaching for the right reason. you'll be there soon!

enjoy your time at tan-tar-a!