Monday, August 29, 2005

Purdue

The race weekend was good

Got to the hotel in Indiana about 1:30am Saturday. Got some sleep and was back up shortly after 8am to eat a continental breakfast and get ready for the races. (on a side note..we had 2 rooms reserved for 12 people...and it worked out fine)

It was decided that I would race A's to get us more points. (A not so great finish in A's can be more points than a great finish in B's). This didn't work out so well as I was using tires that were made specifically for mud and there was no mud. So while I'll have a great picture up here in the next couple of days of some thrashed tires, the race sucked. Midway through the second lap (10 mile laps, supposed to do 3 of them) my handlebars came loose and when I'd hit bump, jump, or other obstacle they'd move and make it hard to ride. The combination of that and the tires caused me to stop after the second lap. I think I've only DNF'd maybe one other time in all the races I've done, but with a new bike and a carbon fiber handlebar that I didn't care to ruin after one race it wasn't worth continuing.
Also in the XC race on Saturday Brady, last year's team president and the fastest XC rider we have now, dislocated his shoulder so he's out for a while.

After the races we headed back to the hotel, showered up and went across the road to eat.
Some of us went to the local bike store afterwards and then went to check out the course for Sunday's Dual Slalom and Short-track course.

Pic of the XC start on Saturday

No comments: