Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Purdue (cont.)

After checking out the course we settled down a bit in the rooms and studied/tinkered with our bikes/did homework/watched tv. Headed to bed around midnight.

Got up at 7am Sunday. Another waffle and two doughnuts for me. My race wasn't until 11:40 (supposedly) so I had to eat enough to hold me over.
Packed up some of our stuff, got the bikes put back on the vehicles, and headed down across town to the BMX PARK

Brady helped the race promoter create the short track course around, across, and through the bmx track. It wasn't done as early as they hoped so things were pushed back. My 11:40 race started at 12:40.

The DUAL SLALOM guys did a great job. Nobody ate it (except for Steve taco'ing a wheel in practice) and they all looked pretty good out there. I'd like to have a jumping bike some day so I can learn that stuff.

Foosh, John, and Mike did a great job in the B's short track.
It was only Lou and I in the A's since Brady was out with his dislocated shoulder and Chad is our champion dual slalom rider (he placed 15th at nationals last year).

It was an extremely fast race, supposed to be 40 minutes plus 2 laps with lapped riders being pulled. There just happened to be 3 riders that were much faster than everyone and about 12 minutes into the race more than half the field was lapped. So Lou and I were pulled and spared a great deal of pain.
Lapping in a short track race doesn't happen all that often, but this course was an extremely short one. In those 12 minutes we did 8 or 9 laps

Lou and I pedaled acoss the way and showered at a campgrounds showers and as we got back to his Jeep the rest of the crew showed up from grabbing the stuff that was left at the hotel (we expected to have time to go back and shower there after our race. Wasn't possible since things were running late.)
Headed home with a few stops for gas and some nutritions delicious McDonalds
Got back into Columbia at 10:30, unloaded the vehicles and headed back to my place.

No comments: