Friday, September 17, 2004

Why I dislike (basically hate) politics

I am going to teach. Ok, in some sorts or another we all teach...but I'm going to make it my profession.

What does this have to do with politics? I consider these teaching and politics to be almost exact opposites.
I think of teaching as a sort of "pure" thing. You've got a subject to tell student about and that's what you do. You've got facts and you try to get those facts crammed into your students heads. There shouldn't be any room for BS in there.
I think of politics as a very very very "unpure" thing. You(assuming "you" are a politician) have certain things you want to do. I'll assume the things you've got in mind are good as I'm normally an optimistic person. So here's where my problems with politics start.
1. They have to rely way too much on other people. For example, politicians don't know the first thing about education. Some might have been involved in education at some point in their lives (and I'm not talking about being a student) but that was most likely many years ago when things were much different. So they've got to be told what to do about education. I supposed if they chose to listen to actual teachers (hmm..what a brillian idea..you want to learn more about what's going on in the educational system you should talk to teachers) then we wouldn't have some BS out there like NO CHILD LEFT UNTESTED (thank you Scott for renaming No Child Left Behind...I shall use it many times and never give you credit again :).
2. Number two goes with number one...many times they're talking to the wrong people.
3. Way too much evil stuff going on....and all of it probably has to do with money. (NOTE: realize I am going to teach. So I must not think that much of money because I'm pretty much setting myself up to not make much) Corporations giving politicians money and basically buying a vote and whatnot....this pisses me off so I shall stop here with number 3.
4. I can't think of a number 4 right now because number 3's still got me pissed off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that, most politicians know next to nothing about what really goes on in schools and educational systems. They come up with "fantastic" ideas but do not take into consideration the individual differences between not only children but states, districts and schools. The higher a school's score on standardized tests the more money they recieve. But it's a dangerous loop because those schools already in lower socioeconomic districs do not have the recourses at their fingertips to do well on those test so they of course score lower and as a result do not recieve their due of government funding, which is already little.

However, your points revolve mostly around school and education; while that's incredibly important there are other aspects of politics. For example, did you know that only one percent of the federal budget goes to public works programs? That's a crime in my opinion. So pick more reasons, there are loads of them.

--Brittany

Anonymous said...

Great post!!!!

Shoshana