Thursday, January 18, 2007

Reflect once again

Started year four at the Reflector last night and working again tonight. It's almost hard to believe I've been here so long.

Subbed in an At-Risk classroom today. Nothing will make a person realize how much they have (and make them think about why people act the way they do) like being in a room with a group of kids like these.
Personally I get more out of helping students that aren't supposed to succeed that I do helping high achievers touch the sky, so I've been wondering lately if I should look for a job in some kind of program for kids that need the help.
One of the guys in the first block this morning told me that many of them were there for having/(and/or)smoking weed at school. Of course one young man had to ask what my views were, which I brushed off with something like "it's illegal, and that's all you need to know". Then a couple of them proceeded to tell me that it wasn't because in Columbia you're only charged with this and this if you have under this amount on you. So it seems Columbia has done a good job educating kids on how much weed they can possess without getting into too much trouble.
[Now is where I should insert something about how marijuana probably shouldn't be illegal and that if anything is, it should be alcohol. Why? Effects of alcohol are worse. Besides the fact that it's illegal what have you got against marijuana? ]

Being in a group of room with a group of kids like that (At-Risk, not marijuana experts) makes me wonder what their parents are like.
Why?
Why?
Why?



My parting thought: Before each sub job I've had so far I've been very nervous. They've all turned out well, but I've still been nervous. Just wondering when this is gonna stop happening...

1 comment:

Erica said...

You're great, Andy. My mom has been subbing going on her third year now and loves it. She's started to get to know some of the students since she often works in the same few schools, she doesn't have to do lesson plans, and she never has to call parents, and she learns something new from teaching different subjects all the time. I'm sure it'll get less nerve-wracking the more you do it. Good luck!